Skip to main content

Oops We Did it Again

What happens when you run around in circles? You get nowhere and if you're on earth a year passes by. We're back where it all started. After a round of lockdowns, aggressive tracing, testing and treating, government throwing up its hand in defeat, the virus magically diminishing from the population, we have arrived at the doorstep of another round of lockdowns. We went from tracking COVID numbers to tracking vaccinations and back to watching COVID cases quadruple every week. But this time, the government machinery is focussed on vaccinating the most vulnerable population, they might not even have the bandwidth to set up another trace, test, treat task force. But do take comfort in the fact that there won't be any vessels bangings even. On Social Media we have gone from questioning the number of cases & death reported to questioning our vaccine choices to cribbing the vaccination pace is no good and now we're again trying to find pictures of every cremation in this country, #GovtSucks.

Keeping aside, the failure of the government, it is a failure of us (NOT US). Reactions have been from "Lookout! there's a deadly virus" but only when it comes to WhatsApp forwards to Humbug, there's no virus it's all a scam, the government wants to take away my freedom (to bedzzle you with my ugly face). All we had to do was either not show up, or show up with our shields and sanitizers. That was the bare minimum we were asked to do. That's what we failed at! Imagine that! We didn't fail at showing up at the border to take up arms against another humans, we failed at pulling the mask over our noses. Time to hang our heads in shame. The virus surely is far more intelligent. It happens to infect those who protest they have been indoors all the while! It also manages to find that perfect one who refuses to mask up, and who meets at least another 10 other humans. It's so smart that it mutated, that is, it stopped for a moment, gave it a thought and decided to change its strategy and course of action. And as the only thinking organism in this war, it surely is winning. 

The virus's sole focus is to survive, whereas ours is anything but that. 

We want to travel and not quietly, but rather roll out the drums and bring out the DSLRs. Would I even have travelled if there were no pictures of me on ista/facebook/tiktok/twitter? I am a busy human, so after my travels I have to meet another 100 people to brag about my travel. Who has the time to sit indoors and keep others safe? Also have you seen my insta account, I never wear a mask! How else am I gonna market the hideous makeup, hair styler, or that shampoo that you just cannot live without!

I am a foodie, I love food. But it is a collective experience, of not just taste but the visual, the aromas, the surroundings. I can't get that in the comfort of my home! I support businesses. Restaurants will close surely without my patronage. Oh oops, did my birthday celebration with 50 guests in an indoor setting cause an outbreak in the city and now the restaurants have been forcibly shut because of the lockdown? Who knew? Sad for the businesses. Remind me to put up a sad/ woke anti government post in my insta story #WheresMyVaccine.

We're not social animals anymore, we've morphed into social (media) monsters. 

You get to see the Sun's corona only during an eclipse which is a perfect metaphor for now. Till our minds are eclipsed with the other non sense this worldly world has to offer, we will keep seeing our Corona in a new avatar (mutation).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Workshop Named Expressive Writing

A week ago, a friend asked me if I wanted to attend a workshop on writing and I agreed. Yeap, I am that adventurous; no details required, just sign me up! The way I look at it is, at least I get to meet some new people. Win win for me as I also get to wear some nice clothes (something apart from my usual all day bedtime clothing). Soon details started trickling in. The 1st shocker was it's not creative writing! What the fish, that's the only type I have heard of. But then the name expressive writing sounded so promising and intense. Isn't most of what we write an expression of us in that moment, even if it's in the form of OMGs or the dancing ladies. Normally I would have googled the hell out of this, but not this week. I'm happy that I didn't. Sometimes it's good to go in all blind. Without expectations it's easier not to be disappointed. After all the workshop was on a Saturday afternoon for 6hours! I would be lying if I said the 6 hours flew by

Je suis Charlie ou Je suis Ahmed ou Je ne suis Charlie! Qui suis-je?

Je suis Charlie ou Je suis Ahmed ou Je ne suis Charlie! Qui suis-je? The shooting in Paris last week that shook the world, resurfaced the modern day debate on Islam and its follower. The twitter world was flooded with the hash tag #JeSuisCharlie subsequently followed by #JeNeSuisCharlie and then finally yielding to #JeSuisAhmed. It is one of those incidents that shake you up completely. In a world probably immune to the atrocities carried out by the likes of ISIS & BOKO HARAM in bulk, shooting a few cartoonists by some loony extremists shouldn't surprise us. Even if it doesn't surprise us, it should shock us. This didn't happen in a conflict zone or in a politically unstable region. The attack wasn't carried out by an organized militant/terrorist foreign group. It is scary that in a crowded, lively city of a stable country with a decent judicial system, 3 of its citizens just decided that a certain group of people doesn’t deserve to live. What is