Skip to main content

A Workshop Named Expressive Writing

A week ago, a friend asked me if I wanted to attend a workshop on writing and I agreed. Yeap, I am that adventurous; no details required, just sign me up! The way I look at it is, at least I get to meet some new people. Win win for me as I also get to wear some nice clothes (something apart from my usual all day bedtime clothing). Soon details started trickling in. The 1st shocker was it's not creative writing! What the fish, that's the only type I have heard of. But then the name expressive writing sounded so promising and intense. Isn't most of what we write an expression of us in that moment, even if it's in the form of OMGs or the dancing ladies. Normally I would have googled the hell out of this, but not this week. I'm happy that I didn't. Sometimes it's good to go in all blind. Without expectations it's easier not to be disappointed. After all the workshop was on a Saturday afternoon for 6hours!

I would be lying if I said the 6 hours flew by or it was a drag. On the contrary, those 6 hours were spent consciously. One of those rare times, where I can recall most of the details, if not a minute by minute report. Maybe that's how it is by design. The activities in the workshop were divided into 3 units: BE, BE YOU & BE YOU FOR YOU. I don't want to dive into details of each and every activity, but I will be sharing some of the things I wrote there on this blog. 
The highlights for me from this workshop were:
1. Almost every activity was time based around 15-20 mins. Looking back at it, it's quite amazing how everyone with no exception could easily pick up a pen and let their thoughts flow through it.
2. The moment where I realised, it's so easy to write for yourself. I just sat there and thought that barely took a few minutes.
3. The stories/thoughts/writings that everyone chose to share were so diverse and beautiful. 

So what is expressive writing? I can google it for you and post it here word to word because I don't yet have that clear distinction in my head. This does not reflect upon the workshop which was fantastic. To me most of my writing has been a form of expressive writing and hence the blurred lines. The letters/emails I wrote to my friends & family, this blog and ahem the other super private one, are all bits and pieces of my thoughts & feelings. I guess even the rare genuine FaceBook posts could also count as a form of expressive writing. From what I gather, expressive writing or writing as a form of therapy doesn't stop at the writing, the idea is to read & reflect on what you have written. To connect with the emotions that affect your thoughts and vice versa.

I am going to give this a try, somedays maybe on this blog on others just in my notes. Who knows what's there to discover?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oops We Did it Again

What happens when you run around in circles? You get nowhere and if you're on earth a year passes by. We're back where it all started. After a round of lockdowns, aggressive tracing, testing and treating, government throwing up its hand in defeat, the virus magically diminishing from the population, we have arrived at the doorstep of another round of lockdowns. We went from tracking COVID numbers to tracking vaccinations and back to watching COVID cases quadruple every week. But this time, the government machinery is focussed on vaccinating the most vulnerable population, they might not even have the bandwidth to set up another trace, test, treat task force. But do take comfort in the fact that there won't be any vessels bangings even. On Social Media we have gone from questioning the number of cases & death reported to questioning our vaccine choices to cribbing the vaccination pace is no good and now we're again trying to find pictures of every cremation in this c

Je suis Charlie ou Je suis Ahmed ou Je ne suis Charlie! Qui suis-je?

Je suis Charlie ou Je suis Ahmed ou Je ne suis Charlie! Qui suis-je? The shooting in Paris last week that shook the world, resurfaced the modern day debate on Islam and its follower. The twitter world was flooded with the hash tag #JeSuisCharlie subsequently followed by #JeNeSuisCharlie and then finally yielding to #JeSuisAhmed. It is one of those incidents that shake you up completely. In a world probably immune to the atrocities carried out by the likes of ISIS & BOKO HARAM in bulk, shooting a few cartoonists by some loony extremists shouldn't surprise us. Even if it doesn't surprise us, it should shock us. This didn't happen in a conflict zone or in a politically unstable region. The attack wasn't carried out by an organized militant/terrorist foreign group. It is scary that in a crowded, lively city of a stable country with a decent judicial system, 3 of its citizens just decided that a certain group of people doesn’t deserve to live. What is